Saturday, May 12, 2012

A good laugh sometimes comes in the form of good ol' common sense

A good laugh sometimes comes in the form of some good common sense, at least it does when a 3 year old speaks. I often find that the "be polite" mama seems to come out alot when we are out in public. Perhaps, its because we have 5 children and are often under the microscope of on lookers. Today, however  I wasnt expecting to laugh at the unintentional sarcasim of my 3year old boy.

While taking a walk through our local wildlife nature center there just happen to be a wildlife volunteer showing animals skins of beaver, skunk, rabbit, and squirrel. My kids were rather impressed with the fur. My 3year old especially, as he continued to pull the tail of the skunk rather roughly. The voulnteer was rather "big eyed", as she repeatitly told him, "gentle, gentle". He looked at me astonished and asked, "why, mama? why I got to be gentle with the skunk skin?". I then proceeded to explain that if everyone was rough with the animal fur that was there for display then it would get ruined and then other people wouldnt be able to enjoy it and experience it. The voulnteer apparently didnt like my answer when she said to him, "how would you like it if someone was pulling your arm and not gentle with you?" My  3 year old with a big grin on his face as cute as a button said, "well I alive and that skunk on da table dead he dont feel me pull its tail."

I couldnt hold in my laugh and the "be polite" mama was no where to be found. I chuckled and then let out a hard laugh, my sons common sense and logical answer was so hilarious. I would have missed it had I alloweed the "polite mama" to come out. It would have been so easy for me to go along with the voulnteers illustratation of enforcing the importance of gentleness and let the "be polite" mama come out and correct my sons answer. But, I didnt. I laughed! I laughed at my 3year olds innocent, logical common sense answer. It result in the voulnteer giving me a rather disgusted "how dare you" look but afterall, laughter is the best medicine.

A laugh could have been missed had I let my uptight serious attitude get in the way. I am glad that I embraced the words of my son and enjoy a good laugh today!

No comments:

Post a Comment